Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Pronoun Trouble.

Let me just start by saying, I really really love Assassin's Creed, I think Ubisoft is awesome. But yeah... pronoun troubles. *single tear*

I'm just a girl who likes to assassinate things in a man who likes to assassinate things's world. 



Frankly, if you aren't aware of what Assassin's Creed has been doing surrounding the release of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, you're missing out big time. There's an incredibly well executed Facebook Game, Assassin's Creed: Legacy that feeds into Uplay a fantastic unifying social portal for achievement sharing and rewards that is integrating back into Legacy. In tandum with a wider rollout of animation and comics (hopefully more extended novels that aren't simply adaptation of the games)

Here's the trailer for Ascendence it looks awesome.


This whole rollout is so exciting to me that I have been a bit... obsessed with it over the past few weeks. Which is rather rare for me, but always wonderful when it arrives. So, in as much as I am annoyed at the gender bending on my facebook wall, I want you all to go and check these things out because it is a blip in an otherwise AMAZING execution.

And if Ubisoft sees this, just please fix the bug so no other lady's experience is marred by the oddness. The copy that automatically posts as soon as you join your social network really should be gender neutral. It has spoiled a bit of my enjoyment to be called a man, and I know I'm not the only woman who would feel that way.

Please? Because I love your campaign rollout way too much to let this happen to others.


2 comments:

  1. Update: It was still bugging me when I got home, so I sent a note to the webmaster. These little things can sour someone's experience of an otherwise stellar rollout and I'm doing my best to not let it sour mine. That said, hopefully they'll prevent future incidents. Here is my complaint letter... I know, thrilling.


    Hey, not so much a question, but when I first connected to Uplay via Facebook, there was a message Automatically posted to my wall.

    It said the following:

    "-Facebook Name- earned free stuff from Ubisoft just by linking his Facebook account to his Ubisoft account. He’ll now get access to free in game rewards, exclusive giveaways and much more through Ubisoft. Sign up today to earn free stuff too."

    This is fine and dandy except that I'm a girl, and it happened before I had had the opportunity to even edit my account to identify a gender at all. It has bothered me, kinda like if you were watching say... Olympic Volleyball and the announcer was calling everyone in the audience women. It's not a huge slight really, but a bothersome needling one. I've been playing Project Legacy daily and really enjoying it, sending others to it and telling them how awesome the whole Ubisoft experience is; and this just, well it has made it harder to enjoy the content.

    I know it seems silly, like getting bothered by someone calling a girl if you're a guy, but it would make sense to change your text to a gender neutral posting so you don't alienate more female players in the future. I doubt I'm the only one who would feel a bit let down if Ubisoft called them a man to all their Facebook friends.

    I hope you will fix this language, it doesn't seem like it would be a difficult fix and it would definitely improve the experience for other ladies who enjoy kicking ass and Ubisoft products.

    I look forward to your regularly scheduled Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck in receiving a constructive reply, Caitlin. I hope your Awesome will be reciprocated.

    ReplyDelete